Put my interaction and interface design skills to work for an organization as passionate about design excellence as I am.
Interaction Design Development and Feedback
In addition to detailed design and usability reviews of applications for Mac OS X and the two dominant Linux desktop GUIs (GNOME and KDE), I develop original concepts, many of which have met with praise from interaction design experts and software industry veterans.
- Adding web links to Flickr photo notes
Commended by Flickr co-founder Stewart Butterfield, a similar feature was implemented by Flickr in May, 2005.
- Combining Google Maps with the Amazon Yellow Pages for easier location orientation
- Visually browsing bookmarks
- Selecting a recognizable bookmark visual
- Browsing a history menu visually via thumbnails
- Rating bookmarks out of five stars
- Simplifying online form completion through drag-and-drop addressing and PIM integration
- Using dynamic icons to inform the user
- Informing users of instant messaging presence and capability through a dynamic icon
- Notifying users of the availability of new information from their contacts
While most of these designs were created in the Mac OS X environment, there is enough similarity between the major GUIs that they could be easily adapted to others.
- At Andy Matuschak‘s invitation, I helped determine the interaction model for the Sparkle application update system, now used in hundreds of OS X applications
- Providing easier chapter editing and navigation in digital videos
- Searching globally and in an application-specific context
- Reinforcing interface relationships through the use of zooming animation effects
- Unifying the presentation and management of e-mail, VoIP, and video messaging
- Visually browsing musical collections
- Enhancing Exposé window tiling through use of icons and selection-based desaturation
- Combining Mac OS X’s Exposé, the Dock, and drag-and-drop
This feature was implemented by Apple in Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard)
- Creating documents using drag-and-drop to the Mac OS X Dock
Praised by Dr. Bruce Horn (formerly of Xerox PARC and Apple Computer, Inc.), this feature was implemented by Apple in Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger)
- Streamlining print option presentation
A similar progressive disclosure method for the print dialog was implemented by Apple in Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
- Abstracting valid selections from the filesystem hierarchy in Open and Import dialogs
User Experience & Visual Design for Amplify (formerly Wireless Generation, Inc.) — Summer 2009 to March 2010, October 2010 to present
User Experience Design for IntraLinks, Inc. — May 2006 to June 12, 2008
Working initially as a contractor (May–December 2006), then as a full-time employee on the ground-up redesign of a virtual dataroom service used by financial institutions and corporations. This required designing for thousands of users while maintaining security and confidentiality. I also designed a number of graphical and tabular reports used to gauge the activity and interest of those using a particular dataroom.
Political Research for Fifty Plus One — October 2004–July 2005
Conducted research and wrote candidate briefing papers for consultant Michael Grossman.
Web Development for W & Co. Design and Communications — June 2004–March 2006
Working as an independent contractor, collaborated with graphic designers to realize web site designs in standards-compliant HTML/CSS.
WilsoNet Technologies, Summer 2003
Centerplex, Information Technology Assistant, Tukwila, WA, 12/23/2002–04/30/2003
Assisted with the research/design/implementation of computerized building management systems, groupware, and networking infrastructure. Also assisted with redundant mail/file/web server configuration using Red Hat Linux and Macintosh workstation maintenance. I designed a custom LDAP directory, took part in implementing groupware to better facilitate inter-office communication and planning, and began a redesign of the company web presence.
Berklee College of Music, Boston, MA, 1/2002–12/2002
Major: Jazz Performance. Musical studies including drumset, harmony, ear training, and arranging.
Seattle Central Community College, Seattle, WA, 9/1999–3/2001
Completed Cisco Certified Network Associate certification prep courses as well as introductory Operating Systems and Unix courses.
High School, James A. Garfield High School, Seattle, WA, 9/1996–6/1999
Graduated with a cumulative 3.2 GPA. Participated in marching band, jazz ensemble, and technology education programs.
- Thorough understanding of interaction principles for mobile, web, and desktop
- Mac Genius! I’ve been a Mac user since the SE
- Expert using Bohemian Coding’s Sketch and Adobe Fireworks (R.I.P.) for full-fidelity design mockups and rough prototypes
- Icon design
- HTML, SVG, CSS (and Sass)
- I’m pretty comfortable working in Meteor. Our particular setup is Coffeescript, the default Spacebars template system, and Sass for styling. I mostly leave the logic to the experts.
- Linux desktop experience using GNOME and KDE