Miles Davis is also buried at Woodlawn Cemetery in the Bronx, right by Duke Ellington.
For a historical view of the city, I recommend the Frank Oscar Larson photos on display at the Queens Museum of Art. He used one of these:
My sense is that these are people who can’t accept that some markets, especially financial ones, are disasters when completely unregulated – and thus find any far-fetched excuse to blame the government.
- It seems impossible to buy plain denim jeans in this city. I don’t want pre-faded, pre-scuffed, permanently wrinkled, or otherwise counterfeited jeans.
- Hipsters: please bathe. Seriously.
- The 24-hour subway beats Seattle’s Metro bus system. Going out for a late meal is much easier here in part because of the transportation infrastructure (decrepit as it is in places).
- The Strand is a great bookstore unless you are looking for design books other than those focused on graphic design.
- New Yorkers are rain wimps.
- iPods are very popular.
- I’m surprised by the number of men here who don’t know how to wear a suit. The trousers should be cuffed and the coat should not have sufficient sleeve length to double as a straight jacket. Also, wearing a t-shirt beneath your button-up shirt gives you the male equivalent of panty line.