In my previous post, I gave a few examples of how icons could be used to communicate more information, particularly when they reside in the Dock (or application launchers in other environments like the KDE Kicker or GNOME panel). This is the logical evolution of the iChat idea (also applicable to Proteus, given its current icon), changing the color of the balloon portion to reflect the user’s availability status.
- Available for text chat only:
- Available for text and audio chat:
- Available for text, audio, and video chat:
- Unavailable, capable of only text chat:
- Unavailable, capable of text and audio chat:
- Unavailable, capable of text, audio, and video chat:
The default blue would be used when the user was offline or invisible.